ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: search for perfect saddle

Re: search for perfect saddle

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Sun, 01 Jun 1997 10:54:16 -0700

deirdre perot jones wrote:

> am wf the person looking for 'the perfect saddle' for gaited endurance
> and it's gotta be a ladies saddle. hey, i'm no prude, but let's face
> it, there's a difference folks!! we ladies need a 'narrow twist' (think
> that's only in english) to be comfortable, and a light saddle is always
> good. so who makes a good solid but lightweight tree wf 'filed down'
> bars, and a covering that will be comfortable for miles and miles....
> are we asking too much??? d-

I've been riding a Crosby Equilibrium, but over long distance it tears
my behind up after just 25 miles. For hacking it's great, but after
hours of posting..it's ouchy. It has a narrow twist, but the seat is not
forgiving. It also rubs my arab's back under the cantle, when he trots
it moves side to side on him. He's always gets Bs on his back because of
it.

I just ordered a Desoto from Marilyn Horstmeyer, but it alas does not
have a narrow twist. It will take some stretching for it to be
comfortable on me.

I've looked at the orthoflex saddles and they appear to be built more on
the english designs with a more narrow twist.

There is a saddle a friend of mine owns up in New York that was very
comfortable. It is an Aussie, but very lightweight, narrow twist and
made in roughened leather with great fitting poleys and a deep seat. The
maker is Queensland and the model called Outrider. She says she bought
it from The General Store about 5 yrs ago, but doesn't have a catalog
anymore. I called the 800# dir assist and there are about 25 listings
for The General Store with no descriptions to go on.

Anybody know of the # to the tack related General Store?

I'd love to get ahold of that saddle. It's great for endurance.

Happy Tails from Buggy Muggy Florida

Susan, Sabian and the Fly Bye