ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Refunds

Re: Refunds

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Fri, 30 May 1997 11:38:40 PST

On Fri, 30 May 1997 10:45:45 -0400 truman.prevatt@netsrq.com (Truman Prevatt) writes:

>The people that tend to be the problem are the people that drive an
>hour
>and plan on doing the 25. These people should know what the local
>forcast
>is before the arrive - since they just live doen the road. They take
>up
>camping space, they are fed (usually on Friday night), they take
>advantage
>of the donuts, rolls and coffe on Saturday. By providing a full
>refund,
>the remainder of the riders are subsidizing these riders.
>
>I believe that riders that cannot start should get some refund (they
>still
>should pay for the services they use such as food). But riders that
>will
>not start, is a different issue. The rest of us are paying for these
>fokes.

Exactly, Truman. We have 50-milers also, that live close by rides and do
the same thing. The problem is, what is a poor excuse and what is a good
excuse for not riding. I think, if your horse does not vet in well, you
should be due a partial, but not a full refund. But, just not wanting
to ride due to weather is not a reason for a refund. Most rides in our
region are overly fair in handing out refunds. I agree with you, the
folks who do ride are subsidizing the ones who whimp out.

>On my rides any "profits" are donated to local trial clubs for the
>imporvemnt of horse trails, building camping facilities, etc. in the
>area
>the ride is being given. The profits go to investing into the trails
>for
>future rides and for all riders to enjoy. By subsidizing those riders
>that
>will not start (note I said will not rather than can not) we are all
>losing.

Most rides in Mountain Region don't make any money. The only ones that
do have $ left over, are ones that got all their awards donated. Of
those that do have a little left over, I would bet most give that money
to trail or youth programs. I know the committee we had until last
year, gave all our money to either the handicapped riding program, or to
trails. There is a new (two year old) ride that is a Girl Scout benefit.
Brad Patterson donates a portion of his proceeds to an education fund
for Native Americans. But, we're not talking much money here. Even if
the RM does pocket the money, it does not make putting on the ride worth
their time. (Remember, the RM also has to pocket the loss -- they can't
give that to the trail fund or the youth foundation).

>I believe in subsidizing junior riders not dead beats!
>
>Flame away.

OK, here is where I disagree somewhat. The demographics should show that
juniors are not the future of our sport. Can you name anyone currently
riding endurance who started as a junior? Most of our riders are women,
30 and up. Granted, some of these women, do have children. So, for the
sake of allowing those women to participate, it's good to give juniors a
break. Plus, for diversity sake, I think it's great to have juniors at a
ride.

The juniors do not get recognized as much by AERC, so they deserve some
kind of a break. Riding for free, I disaggree with, but a healthy
discount is a good idea.

Linda VanCeylon & crew
Buhni, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
lindavan.eqath@juno.com