>Subject: Refunds
>To: ridecamp@endurance.net (ridecamp@endurance.net)

snip
>On refunds:
>
>On a multi-day ride, if the horse cannot compete after the first day,
>then any money tendered for subsequent days should be refunded.
>For example on a five day ride, you think you can compete for all
>five days and pay in advance. On day 2, your horse pulls up lame.
>Only grade 1, and maybe if you were very careful you could baby him
>through. But you decide to pull. You should get days 3-5 refunded.
>
>If the rider just can't make it, then a refund should be made minus
>a small admin fee ($10 or so).

DON'T KNOW OF ANY MULTI-DAYS WHERE THE ABOVE, OR SIMILAR POLICY IS NOT
FOLLOWED.

snip

>One of the big reasons
>that I will not be going on the Rocky Mountain Ride is that there is
>a big deposit required, and once you pay, that's it. At least that is
>the way it looks on the entry form.

THIS IS NOT TRUE, WENDY. PUT ON YOUR READING GLASSES AND READ IT AGAIN.

>I don't know if I can do two days
>let alone five. I think I'll pick a no-deposit, get-your-money-back,
>just-call-me-and-tell-me-you-are-coming ride first. Let's
>see, there's a three day ride coming up:-)

GREAT IDEA. I UNDERSTAND THIS YEAR WILL BE THE LAST TIME THIS 3-DAY WILL
BE PUT ON. WE'LL MISS THIS RIDE.

>You have to have some business sense, keep expenses down, pay your
>bills, etc. But, you don't have to treat a ride as a business.

THIS SEEMS RATHER AMBIGUOUS. IF YOU HAVE BUSINESS SENSE, TO ME THAT WOULD
IMPLY THAT YOU:
PROMOTE/ADVERTIZE YOUR EVENT
PLAN YOUR FUNDING (keep expenses to a minimum)
PLAN A QUALITY PRODUCT AT LOWEST POSSIBLE COST
PLAN YOUR ATTENDANCE (read require early entry/deposit)
SET A REFUND POLICY
INSURE FOR YOUR POSSIBLE LIABILITIES
AVOID TAKING A FINANCIAL LOSS

THE ABOVE SOUNDS LIKE RUNNING A BUSINESS TO ME.

Truth is, even if you run it like a business, promoting Endurance Rides
will never be a lucrative business. If the ride manager had to pay all the
volunteers, buy all the awards and expect a living wage for him/herself for
the number of hours invested, there would be no riders who could afford the
entry fees.

Same theme comes up, over and over. The Ride Managers do it for the love
of the sport.

Linda Van Ceylon
lvanceylon@vines.colostate.edu