ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: panting

Re: panting

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sun, 25 May 1997 05:52:27 GMT

On Sat, 24 May 1997 21:44:54 -0700, "Leslie Ernst, Rohde"
<lesrohde@teleport.com> wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to endurance.net, and I am wondering if anyone has had
>experience with a horse who pants habitually, even when she isn't
>hot. This is a 5 year old morgan mare,=20

This may be characteristic of Morgans. Lain, an AERC Hall of Fame
endurance horse with over 8,000 miles, is a Morgan and a ferocious
panter.

You didn't say what Region you live in. If, for example, you will do
most of your competing in the Southeast Region you won't have a
problem, because the ride vets there have long recognized that panting
is not by itself a sign of a problem in endurance horses, especially
in hot & humid conditions. Lain actually *left* vet checks back onto
the trail with his respiration still over 100 bpm!

If you're considering buying this horse for endurance, check to see
what the practice is in your area. The panting itself, unless it is
related to some other underlying problem, is not only *not* a fault in
the horse, it will help the horse get rid of body heat while
conserving body fluids. I am of the opinion, in fact, that many good
endurance horses actually learn to pant, and become better horses for
it.

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net