ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: nutritional content ?'s

Re: nutritional content ?'s

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 22 May 1997 11:12:35 -0700

NRC does not publish (to my knowledge) any numbers for manufactured
(pelleted feed). However, the following numbers are available for the
constituents:

Fescue (full bloom): DE Mcal/lb 0.86 (1.01), Ca % 0.40 (0.43), P % 0.29
(0.32)
Fescue (mature): DE 0.80 (0.89), Ca 0.37 (0.41), P 0.27 (0.30)
Ryegrass, Italian (late veg): DE 0.71 (0.83), Ca 0.53 (0.62), P 0.29 (0.34)

The first number is hay as fed, the parenthetically number is on a dry
matter basis. I suspect cubes will have a lower moisture content than plain
hay - but that is just a guess on my part. Vitamin supplements will have a
negligable DE. If there are sugar binders used in the manufacture of the
pellets, DE will be slightly higher.

One of the great gaps in our labeling law is DE. It is not required and
almost never given for manufactured animal feeds.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net