ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Thumps

Re: Thumps

Brent Seufert (Brent.Seufert@pipe.nova.ca)
Thu, 22 May 1997 09:27:01 -0600

>Lucie A. Hess wrote:
> I have real concerns about feeding this
>> stuff free choice as they gorge them selves on it on a regular basis.
>> What do you suggest, feed free choice and see if they slow down or
>> continue to ration it out?
>> Any one else with similar circumstances?
>
>I put out free choice Redmond salt and 1:1 Mineral. As I didn't have a
>salt block before I thought she would gorge herself on the flavorful
>salt. No, she ate the 1:1 almost all up. She has settled down and now
>only picks at the two.

This is a very normal thing to see in horses that have some sort of mineral
deficiency (sp?) in their diet. Many times I have received a new horse, and
they eat the mineral block (Equi-Block) like it was going out of style, then
after a few days, settle in to only nibbling. They are amazing at regulating
their own mineral intake to maintain a balance.

Brent & Grace
Starrtrek, Codey
Brent Seufert
NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd.
GE Capitol Management Technology Services.