ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Lameness Criteria in Endurance

Re: Lameness Criteria in Endurance

Nicco Murphy and Pat Hlavin (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Tue, 20 May 1997 17:17:19 -0700

Bruce Overton wrote:

> Hi,
> In Niccolai Murphy's post (20/05/97) it seems that in USA there are
> degrees
> of lameness. Under Australian Rules the horse is either lame or not
> lame.
> There is no maybe. Where can I find the rules, applied by vets over
> there,
> for lameness.

This is one reason I almost stayed away from endurance as I do, in
general from any formal sport, since Hal is permanently "lame". i.e. He
has an irregular gait caused by aysmmetry probably caused by an old
injury during his track days. Never the less I was encouraged to give it
a go as the vets supposedly note this sort of thing in the prerace check
and ensure that it does not become worse. Thus in Hal's case BC is an
impossibility and in dressage most judges will ring the bell even as we
trot in at A. It is quite obvious though that he is in no pain.

I suspect a similar problem will rear it's head when we bring our TWH
mare along one day.

Nicco

--
Open the bay door please, Hal.