ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Endurance Bloodlines

Re: Endurance Bloodlines

Truman Prevatt (truman.prevatt@netsrq.com)
Fri, 16 May 1997 09:34:00 -0400

>Truman Prevatt wrote:
> If I see a horse with
>> a lot of the same blood on his papers I am skeptical of what recessive
>> bombs are lying in wait.
>

>Line or in breeding will bring out the recessive genes. So if you see a
>horse with a lot of the same blood and the horse is proper and to your
>liking, you can bet that the horse carries the proper and correct
>geneotype, and carries no "surprises". In and line breeding WILL
>accentuate the positive AND the negative. So, in a lot of close-breeding
>cases, "what you see, is what you get"

Not necessarly true. How about a predosposition for heaves that isn't
obvious at 6 but developes at 11? Line breeding can leave little time
bombs waiting to go off. There are many documented instances in humans
where breeding in a small gene pool has resulted in development of unique
diseases and conditions or the predisposition to certain diseases and
conditions. Line breeding carried to its extreme will lead to a weaker
species. Random out breeding is the way nature evolved the species that
survived.

Truman

Truman Prevatt
Mystic "The Horse form Hell" Storm with a lille hellion on the way
Danson "Deamon in Training" Flame
Sarasota, FL