ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: PHF

Re: PHF

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Wed, 14 May 1997 09:34:37 -0700

I get a bit concerned when I hear people trashing vaccinations. My fear is
that people will stop all vaccinations and therefore put other people at
risk. For the years 1930 to 1949 there were 1415 cases of dog rabies in
Washington. From 1960 to 1990 there were 3. An unvaccinated dog puts me at
risk. The numbers would probably be even more dramatic for those states
where wild animal rabies is endemic. Failure to vaccinate horses for the
appropriate encephilitises also puts people at risk.

There is a growing problem with people failing to vaccinate their children.
They are relying on the fact that if enough other people vaccinate their
risk will be low - a morally bankrupt "you take the risks, I will accept
the benefits" philosophy.

The vast reduction in incidence of polio, measles, mumps, pertusis, etc.
and the total elimination of smallpox was a result of vaccinations, not
alternative medicine.

I am not suggesting that you oppose all vaccinations, but it is not clear
from that post. With regard to PHF specifically, it is absent in western
Washington, so I do not vaccinate for it. Given its limited effectiveness,
I don't include it in the same category as the vaccines in my rant above.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net