ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: pads and girths

RE: pads and girths

Flemmer, Linda (LFlemmer@CHKD.com)
Fri, 9 May 1997 08:25:49 -0400

Bob,
You wrote:

><SNIP> I am about ready to replace pad and girth however.
>What are the thoughts out there on saddle pads - wool felt, wool fleece,
>synthetic fleece, equigel, ???.

I have always liked the Cool Back or Wool Back pads from Toklat. They
have some loft to the fleece, they're washable, and they're durable. I
am leery of wool felt since I have had trouble with rubbed hair using
them. Wool fleece (Wool Back) is probably the best of the Toklat pads.
The wool pads seem to be kinder on the horse's coat that the synthetic
pad. (OTOH the Cool Back pads come in colors where the Wool Back pads
are only white.) The wool fiber is on a fiber backing so that it is
completely machine washable. Gel pads NOT made for endurance are a
"plastic bag of jello". The plastic prevents the horse's back from
breathing - they're HOT. The gel is too fluid - it runs away from the
pressure points & provides little protection for long rides. Also, gel
pads add weight - may be good or bad for you. (I'd always rather ride
in the bottom of a weight category rather than the top end of one.)

After we arrive in at our new place in West Virginia next month, I'll
have the Wolf Pad available again if you're interested in an endurance
gel pad. It is a more viscous gel with a synthetic, breathable cover
that allows moisture & heat to escape. It can be heated & cooled to
work as a therapy pad. Most folks use it between the saddle & a thin
pad.

>And on girths, leather contour, string (mohair, poly), and girth covers.

It depends on where you are riding & what YOUR particular horse is
comfortable with. Leather = UP KEEP Good soft leather generally works
well. String girths are ok if you ride where there isn't much sand.
Sand has an affinity for getting through the strands & causing major
irritation. I would definitely choose mohair over poly. (See the
difference when rope runs through your hands - poly vs. cotton! Same
idea.) I only use a girth cover when necessary (ie over my string girth
in the sand, etc.)

You didn't mention Neoprene girths. They must be girthed snug but not
tight. That way the horse's sweat lubricates the girth, allowing it to
slide over the horse's skin. The best Neoprene girth I've found so far
is the Neogirth from Orthoflex (heavy neoprene w/ stainless steel
hardware).

Good luck! Let the list know what kind of answers you get. I'd be
interested in seeing them.

Linda Flemmer
soon to be:
Blue Wolf Ranch & Equestrian Supplies