ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Trailer Woes

Re: Trailer Woes

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Wed, 7 May 1997 17:38:43 -0700

Most cars are rated to tow 1000 lb - i.e., if you towed your 1100 lb horse
on roller skates, you have voided the warantee. Even some light pickup
trucks are insufficient (Chevy S-10 varies from 2000 to 5000 lbs depending
on options. Tongue weight is not the reason - its the strain on the
drivetrain. You can get away with it if you are towing on level roads, but
as soon as you climb hills, the wear and tear begin. The Brenderup reduces
the weight by only about 500 lb or about 10% when loaded with 2 horses plus
gear.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net