ridecamp@endurance.net: RE: Washoe Valley 50 (story)

RE: Washoe Valley 50 (story)

Mike Sofen (a-miksof@MICROSOFT.com)
Tue, 6 May 1997 07:51:22 -0700

Some horses start to settle down when other horses are out of
sight/sound. However, their sense of smell is profound and they know
that other excited horses have traveled their path in front of them.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried the old stallion remedy of wiping
something (that smells good but strong) in the horses nostrils so that
they can't smell anything else (mares in heat, in the case of
stallions). I haven't tried it myself, but at least during training, it
might provide some insight into what is triggering the response and may
provide a mechanism for breaking the pattern.

Mike