ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: trailer woes

Re: trailer woes

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Mon, 05 May 1997 03:57:30 GMT

On Sun, 4 May 1997 22:56:25 -0400 (EDT), Erika R Achberger
<eachberg@sophia.smith.edu> wrote:

Hmmm, this is way off-topic and I should probably keep my big mouth shut =
-- but
what the h*ll. I will try to keep it short.

> They want you to believe that less regulation is good for you--
>toxic synthetic chemicals you don't have to know are in your food and
>other sht and rigs that break down or blow up (look up Ralph Nadar's =
first
>consumer rights protection stuff with the car that would explode with a
>head on collision at 30mph)-- but this is one of the few tools that
>Americans have to keep this world a little more sane. If we want =
companies
>to play fair, there have to be rules. We can't all be policing because =
we
>all have lives too. And think of how many people waste their money on =
bad
>trailers.

Ralph Nader is on the Board of Directors of Consumers Union, publishers =
of
Consumer Reports. IMO Nader is an anti-business zealot, whose net effect=
on our
society and economy have been decidedly negative. My intense dislike for=
his
activities goes back to the book which made his reputation -- at the =
expense of
one of the most innovative cars to come out of Detroit in a very long =
time.

I've been a car enthusiast for almost as long as I've been a horse =
enthusiast.
Nader's critique of the Corvair was bullshit, bullshit, bullshit -- but =
the
media ate it up, and helped the Corvair to pass from the scene.

Also IMO government "consumer protection" regulations do more harm than =
good
(vis. the air bags that government mandated that are killing children). =
If the
government regulates horse trailers, they will become more expensive, =
heavier,
and innovations in design will be hindered. The only thing they will not=
become
is safer or better quality.

--=20

Joe Long