ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: 100 milers

Re: 100 milers

lindavan.eqath@juno.com
Thu, 1 May 1997 01:09:59 PST

On Thu, 1 May 1997 18:47:37 -0500 hickst@puzzler.nichols.com (Tina Hicks)
writes:
> It's not like I'm riding for points or anything right
>now <g>
>- but one day I will...

You have great foresight, Tina. I never thought about points until a
couple years ago when I started riding closer to the front. Even then,
it didn't really occur to me until a good friend, who is a REALLY
competitive rider and also the dearest kindest person, was riding with
me on her new horse. It was a ride close to the end of the season. We
were riding with a junior and were top-10. We'd ridden together all day
and were at the finish. She said, "Are any of us riding for points?
That person should finish ahead of us". That was the first time
I ever thought about order of finish determining points. This person
obviously had thought a lot about points, and yet was so gracious as to
offer the points to the person who needed them.

Normally, when this person has a horse that is really campaign ready,
she doesn't need to be so gracious because she is about 1 hour ahead of
second place. By the same token, when campaigning seriously, if someone
gives her a run for her money, she won't give up a win easily.

This example just goes to show that our sport can handle the competitive,
and the gracious. Often in the same person.

Linda VanCeylon & crew
Buhni, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
lindavan.eqath@juno.com