ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: SNAKES, how to prepare?

Re: SNAKES, how to prepare?

Linda VanCeylon (LVanCeylon@vines.ColoState.EDU)
Thu, 1 May 97 13:02:37 -0600

Lauren Horn <fourhorn@mail.fia.net> writes:
>not
>even a curious look. I was surprised that she had no reaction at all.
>
>So Bob, if I come across a rattler, should I be ready for a different
>reaction?
>
>Lauren

Hi Lauren,

My mare only notices the "poised" rattlers and that might be because of my
reaction. She rarely pays any attention to a non-poisonous snake or a
rattler who is just sunning. She was raised around lots of snakes and has
recently adopted this rather "ho-hum" attitude toward them. She will,
however, spook zealously at a stick or clump of grass that "looks" like a
snake. But, she just does that to make me wake up and ride her instead of
taking a break.

I've never known of anyone, though i'm sure there must be a few, who have
been injured, by snakes while riding, either horse or human. However, when
I worked at a ranch down in Sedalia, CO, we had 7-8 young horses get bitten
on the face at the same time. The place looked like a M*A*S*H unit for
awhile. 2-3 of them were severly traumatized & nearly died. Evidently,
they had come across a den of snakes. Being young and curoius, they stuck
their noses in, instead of running away. None of the older horses in the
pasture were ever bitten by snakes.

Age and wisdom seem to go hand-in-hand in horses.

Linda VanCeylon & crew
Buhni, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
lindavan.eqath@juno.com

Linda Van Ceylon