ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: 100 milers

Re: 100 milers

Luke Steele (luke.steele@fujitsu.com.au)
Thu, 01 May 1997 12:46:52 +1000

At 18:18 30/04/97 -0700, Phil wrote:
>I too have wondered why so many people do 50's over 100's. Considering
>that going to a 100 costs about the same as going to a 50, it is a great
>way to cut your endurance ride expenses to do only 100's. Figure it out
>yourself, the cost per mile for doing 100's is just about half of that
>for doing 50's.
>
>Phil Gardner

Doing 100 miles in a day, I believe, is the ultimate in endurance riding.
The mental and physical preparation is really something. The feeling of
satisfaction after the completion of a 100 miler is incredible.
Doing 100 milers is not something for the faint-hearted. Keeping going
after 50 and 75 miles takes a lot of motivation and guts. It is at this
point that mental toughness keeps you going. Even though you are fatigued
physically and mentally, you must keep alert and attuned to your horse.
I think one of the biggest buzzes I have had is saddling up the next
morning for the BC horse workout. To feel you horse working out
enthusiastically after a tough 100 miles is really exciting!
Doing the longer rides is a good way to clock up the miles and points too.

I also believe that riding 100 miles in a conservative manner is easier on
the horse than racing 50 miles.

To anyone who hasn't contemplated doing a 100 miler, you *can* do it! Just
get around those who love doing the longer rides and set your goals.

Luke and Nikita who have completed five 100 miles/1 day rides and love them!