ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Washoe Ride/Sports Saddles

Re: Washoe Ride/Sports Saddles

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 08:16:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, tina hicks wrote:

> At 09:59 AM 4/30/97 -0400, RUN4BEAR@aol.com wrote:
>

> >Hey Karen...GOOD LUCK!!! Just remember, it's not 100 miles...it's just a
> >series of rides from vet check to vet check...
>

> he he he so *that's* how you old-timers sucker us into those 100s....not 100
> miles, yeah right :-))

I can remember telling the head vet after I finished my first 100, "100
miles is ALOT further than 50."

And his response was, "Yeah, and it's more than just twice as far."

I wasn't expecting this to be the case. I went in with the attitude "Hey,
it's just 2 50's back to back."

As Tina said, "Yeah, right."

If you aren't prepared to go alot further than 2 50's, you aren't prepared
for 100.

On the flip side, for my horse, this wasn't the case. He was much better
prepred for 100's than I was...but then, he doesn't suffer in the same way
I do from sleep deprivation.

At the end of 50 miles, my horse is more tired than I am. At the end of
100 miles, I am alot more tired than my horse.

Just my experience.

kat
Orange County, Calif.