ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[2]: the great saddle debate

Re[2]: the great saddle debate

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Wed, 30 Apr 97 06:56:42 EST

I have a Sport Saddle, newer model with fleece bottom. I weight about
130-135lb in my birthday suit, 5'3". Experienced rider, ridden
primarily in jump saddles for the last 34 years. I don't sit much in
the saddle except when on a social or non-training ride. I have not
done more than 25-27 miles at a time in this saddle. I use wool fleece
pads, a thick one on one horse a thin one on mister table top, Fat
Boy. I use a mohair cinch.

This saddle is currently working for both horses. I have a nice even
sweat pattern and no back soreness yet. On Fat boy there is a dry
channel down his back over the spine most days but he is getting only
light rides. I did have problems with the saddle turning when I
mounted on this horse till I switched to the mohair cinch. Now it only
shifts a smidgeon. For me, the seat is very soft but the seat is low.
I'd rather there was more of a build up under the seat bones to let my
legs hang down with less stress on my hips as in my dressage and jump
saddles. This saddle also causes a rounding in my lower back when used
on an uphill built horse (good conformation +) for a few hours. My
back will start aching if we do a lot of walking. I get feeling like
I'm sitting in a hole. On Fat Boy who was downhill when I bought him
and now thankfully has leveled out I don't get this stress, just a
feeling like I'm straddling a table. Well, he's a smooth riding, good
looking table.

I'd like my next saddle to be more along the line of an english
saddle.

Bonnie Snodgrass