ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: starting the older horse

Re: starting the older horse

lindavan.eqath@juno.com
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:26:22 PST

On Tue, 29 Apr 97 00:19:40 UT "outwestposse " <OutWestPosse@msn.com>
writes:
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if anyone had any input on starting a 12 year old
>(Arab) in
>endurance. He has had minimal riding most of his life, but is very
>sound and
>correct and has a very good head.

Who says 12 is old. A 12 yo is just reacing his prime.

I hope by "very good head" you mean he is not crazy.

>I will probably never want to do a 100 miler...but do you think w/ the
>proper
>LSD riding I could do some 50's?

If this horse is sound, no reason he can't be doing 50's real soon.

>I am aware of how to condition him as if he were a starting 5 year
>old..I'm
>just curious about input on him being able to do 50's. I know most
>books and
>info. seem to say not to purchase an older horse for endurance, unless
>he has
>been a seasoned endurance horse;

The only reasons I can think of for not getting an older horse are you
have fewer years to capitalize on you training investment and you don't
know if this horse has some potential problems from prior abuse/neglect.

>conditioned to do so. But,
>again...wouldn't
>it be OK to do LSD rides and some 50's as long as I train properly ?

I've started 4 older horses, 3 were my own. No need to start with
limited distance if you've done you homework, just start in on 50 milers
and go slow. The limited distance rides are more for the rider than the
horse. So, if you feel you need a 25 to get you feet wet, that's fine
as long as you don't think it's a race. Limited distance is also for
bringing along 4yo (babies).