ridecamp@endurance.net: Re[2]: Bar Shoes

Re[2]: Bar Shoes

Bonnie Snodgrass (snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil)
Tue, 29 Apr 97 06:54:37 EST

Have held off replying to this post as the original question asked for
experience using bar shoes on endurance horses which I haven't done
but I have had a couple of horses in them before. They will help move
the base of support back under the heels but so will moving any shoe
further back on the foot and having shoe heels extend beyond foot
heels. Had to use them on a big TB who developed a sheared heel due to
poor hoof balancing. Caution, bar shoes can contribute to contracted
heels over time. An excellent farrier straightened out the sheared
heel problem for me and worked on the low heel, long toe problem on
the same horse. He explained that lifting a horses heels with wedges
(shoes or pads) would give immediate relief to the tendons but would
keep the heels from improving. Excess weight on the heels must be
redistributed for the heels to quit being crushed under. The wedges
don't shift the weight off the crushed heels.

I had the same problems poor, crumbling wall problem with a TWH cross
I used to have until my farrier moved away. The new farrier changed to
a much smaller nail (and a different shoe to accomadate the smaller
nail. He patched the crumbling wall with a Bondo type of stuff and as
the wall grew down the problem grew out. He pointed out that the
breaking up was only around the nails and primarily on the inside
walls. The smaller nail really did the trick for that mare.

Bonnie Snodgrass