ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: EPM

Re: EPM

lindavan.eqath@juno.com
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 02:58:45 PST

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:36:36 +0600 Gwen Dluehosh <dluehosh@vt.edu>
writes:
>Equine PRotozoal Myelitis.
>It's caused by an organism called Sarcocystis neurona which migrates
>through
>the spinal cord during its life cycle and accordingly causes havoc
>with the
>motor and nervous control of horses. It is usually seen as some sort
>of
>motor deficit in the rear limbs similar to a wobblers horse. I have
>also
>heard of some horses who will circle to one side continuously unless
>led in
>a straight line and I have seen horses who have recovered but this is
>guarded prognosis at best.
>I hope I can learn more in the article- I think we have finally
>determined
>that it is transmitted in urine of small field animlas, some say
>opossum is
>the one.

Gwen, I've never heard of it around here. We don't have opossum. We
have raccoons, skunks, mice, mountain lions, deer, fox, domestic cats.
Those are about the only mammals I see in our pasture. --Lots of birds,
too and some people have prairie dogs which carry bubonic plague. I'll
have to ask CSU Vet School if it's here yet.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Linda VanCeylon & crew
Buhni, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
lindavan.eqath@juno.com