ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: EPM

Re: EPM

C.M.Newell (reshan@deyr.ultranet.com)
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 22:02:40 -0400

At 08:36 PM 4/28/97 +0600, you wrote:
>Equine PRotozoal Myelitis.
>It's caused by an organism called Sarcocystis neurona which migrates through
>the spinal cord during its life cycle and accordingly causes havoc with the
>motor and nervous control of horses.

Close--the migration through the horse's nervous system is an aberrant
migration in an animal other than the natural host.

It is usually seen as some sort of
>motor deficit in the rear limbs similar to a wobblers horse.

It is frequently manifested as a proprioceptive deficit--i.e., Weedwhacker
doesn't know where his feet are. The symptomms are also dependent upon where
in the CNS the parasite has caused damage--in other words, front limb
problems are possible, and asymmetric lesions are common as well.

I have also
>heard of some horses who will circle to one side continuously unless led in
>a straight line and I have seen horses who have recovered but this is a
>guarded prognosis at best.
>I hope I can learn more in the article- I think we have finally determined
>that it is transmitted in urine of small field animlas, some say opossum is
>the one.

The normal host is the opossum; the infective sporocysts are
transmitted in the feces. Stabled horses are at risk as well as pastured
ones, if feed bins are accesible to the opossum, or if opossums are in the
stored hay. Bird droppings are also a possible source, as the brown cowbird
is thought to be an intermediate host.

--CMNewell, DVM