ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: neoprene girths

Re: neoprene girths

Niccolai Murphy and Pat Hlavin (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 06:09:44 -0700

Lec wrote:
> I have an Older OrthoFlex and about $200 dollars of sundrie and various
> girths, 3 are neoprene in differents widths and shapes. They all
> produce the same sores that you are experiencing. And yes they and the
> horse were clean before riding- didn't make a difference.
>
> I finally discovered that the best thing for my horse was a $12 mohair
> string girth. Go figure...I buy a couple at the start or each season
> and wash after every use. They even hold my electrodes better too.

I discovered this too (I have OF equipment too, including one of their
girths and a saddle). But found that if you get a mohair girth, get on
at least four inches too long. After a wash or two it comes out the
right length. Some times if I'm desperate and have to go out with a
dirty girth I stick a wooly fluffy around it. Either way you don't have
to use the velcro strap to hold on the electrode. At the price I usually
keep at least two for each saddle in the tack room.

--
Nicco Murphy, San Diego County 'Open the bay door, please, Hal'