ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Sending our horse to a trainer - our story

Re: Sending our horse to a trainer - our story

Niccolai Murphy (hlurphy@socal.wanet.com)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:47:41 -0700

Liz Henry wrote:

> At one time, she hit a horse on the head with her "carrot stick" (a stiff
> fiberglass bat) and one could hear....
> that should have sent us home and we were fools for continuing.

You said it right there. You went to check her out and found her wanting
and proceeded anyway. Anyone capable of this in front of a crowd can be
capable of a lot worse without one.

Liz, I'm no expert at training horses but I wouldn't send my horses to a
trainer (not even a big name) for anything. I figure it would be a waste
of time if I wasn't there. You see, half the equation is missing if you
aren't there. Sure the horse needs to learn stuff, but with YOU not some
"expert", since you will be riding your horse not some "expert". Better
to find a good coach and take some lessons from them. Better yet several
good coaches so that you get several points of view and make your own
decision about what works for you. And if you really really really think
some expert schooling may help, you may as well be around to see what
buttons to press. Doesn't help any if the horse knows more than you or
speaks a different set of cues.

--
Nicco Murphy, San Diego County 'Open the bay door, please, Hal'