ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: selling products on the list.

Re: selling products on the list.

Cathy Pritchett (danugna@teleport.com)
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:47:56 -0700

At 03:42 AM 4/19/97 +0600, you wrote:
>I think there was a discussion abotu product selling a LONG time ago on the
>list. however there were far less people on the list at that point. Maybe
>it's time we take another vote on whether to include these posts. Last time
>people voted that as long as it wasn't too obtrusive then it would be ok. I
>don't personally find it offensive especially when someone asks where it can
>be found or about it. Part of Teddy's (and other vendors) job is to let
>people know what she has and how much it costs. If it isn't asked
>specifically I have noticed that almost invariably the price gets asked
>later on.

Hi,

I've been on this list about 5 months. For the most part, I really enjoy
it and find it extremely helpful. Many of us do not have access to
endurance products except thru the mail and the internet.

It seems to me that this whole issue came up, not because some one was
inappropriately selling on the list, but because it was Teddy. Teddy has on
occasion a rather abrasive manner and has managed in the short time I've
been here to piss some people off. There are others on this list that have
done the same. That's life, sometimes, you just don't like someone.

That said, Teddy has a business which offers to us some fine products and
she also has knowledge that many of us can use. When someone asks about a
specific product and another list member has or knows where it can be
found, I think they should be allowed to say so. That's the sort of thing
I'm here for. You don't have to like Teddy to find her products and/or
knowledge useful.

I think that members should also be steered to the Endurance Net www pages
where you can find every product imaginable. But the list offers personal
experience and exchange of ideas about the products and why they do or
don't work. By allowing someone to mention specific products, you also
allow others to comment on their reasons for liking or disliking said
product and offering alternatives. Then we all learn. Recent discussions
about the Sport Saddle are an excellent example.

So, for me, I would hope that we could all find a way to put aside the
personality issue and determine instead if the information offered is of
use to any list members. At the same time, I would hope that the vendors
would leave the blatant advertising for the pages set up on Endurance Net
for advertising and mention on the list only things that are appropriate to
the discussion at the time.

Cathy in Oregon