ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Minerals

Re: Minerals

gerhardt (gerhardt@theriver.com)
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 19:28:28 -0700

Susan,

Thank you so much for the analysis of protein and its effects on horses. I
am a certified Equine Nutritionist through Purina, and they, along with the
vets I consulted when I came to Arizona about how to feed my horses here in
this desert (no grass!) told me horses should be on a low protein diet like
grass, with some supplement if needed for level of work, and in my case,
for the breeding mares and stallions I keep, and the growing young stock.
There was some talk about how there is no point in feeding high levels of
protein above the 12% or so that is normal for most horses, or the 16% for
lactating mares and babies. I was told that how excess levels of protein
would be excreted anyway, and so could cause kidney damage if very high
over a long period, but the mechanism by which this could occur was not
detailed. I have had at least one owner of a horse that the vet said was
showing signs of kidney damage that he attributed to a straight alfalfa
diet for the 9 years of the horse's life, to my store since we carry grass
hay, with the instructions to the owner to get that horse off alfalfa and
onto grass.

Alafalfa is what is fed to most horses here in Arizona, because it is more
readily available than grass hay, and because it is therefore less
expensive than grass hay. In the midwest, we just didn't feed alfalfa to
horses except heavily cut with grass, so that really suprised me when I got
here. The vets say the practise of feeding staight alfalfa to horses here
is not good for them, and is worse here than in the Midwest, because the
calcium to phosphorus ratios of the alfalfa here are in the 7 to 1, 8 to 1,
even 10 to 1 ratio, whereas in the midwest the alfalfa is at 4 to 1 or 5 to
1. Horses should be at 3 to 1, so the alfalfa here in Arizona is really out
of whack with what a horse should have. The protein levels are also very
high here. In the midwest protein levels of alfalfa of around 16% are
common, but here it usually runs closer to 20%, even 25%. So your comment
that the protein levels can be REALLY high is absolutely correct. I will
give advice to customers that ask, but those that don't ask don't want to
be told they are not feeding their horse right, they will just go somewhere
else. So, there is only so much I can do about that with my customers. I
keep grass hay on hand at all times, though, so that those who do want to
feed grass have someplace to get it.

Another effect of alfalfa over time is that because of the out of kilter
calcium to phosphorus ratio, the horses on alfalfa diets will be prone to
develop kidney and bowel stones. So, people try to counteract this by
feeding bran, with the idea that the phosphorus content of the bran will
put the calcium phosphorus ratio back into balance, and thus prevent the
stones. My vet told me that a study she read showed that feeding bran
unfortunately has the opposite effect, and in fact *promotes* the formation
of the stones! I asked her what the solution was. Her answer was one
word:grass. She did say that the same study tested whether the use of
vinegar could prevent the stones from forming or reduce them if they had
started to form. The researchers were suprised to find that it actually
does reduce the size of stones already formed and does prevent formation,
1/2 C in the feed twice a day. She said I could use that if I was going to
feed alfalfa. I have opted to feed mostly grass, with a bit of alfalfa
thrown in to help "stretch" the grass. But of course, I still have to stock
bran at the feed store for all the people who ask for it along with the
bales of alfalfa loaded on their trucks for their horses.

Annette