ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: joining the great saddle hunt

Re: joining the great saddle hunt

Phil Gardner (slsf@foothill.net)
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 08:26:38 -0700

Sue Norris wrote:

> Phil,
>
> Could you please list the whereabouts and the manufacturers name and
> vital statistics of this Rembrandt saddle that you think so much of. If it
> is that good, there are others of us out here that would like to hear more
> about it. Thanks for the input.
>
> Sue>> After listening to many tales of woe about saddle fit over the last 2
> >> years and sitting here smugly at my computer thinking - glad I don't have
> >> those troubles, my saddle fits just fine - well, this is what I get for
> >> being smug <g>
> >>
> >> Going to saddle Tony up last nite revealed 2 perfectly matched white patches
> >> on either side of his withers coming in with his summer coat :-((
> >>
> >> What I don't understand is how can a saddle fit poorly enough to cause white
> >> spots but the horse never give an indication of such poor fit?? It's a
> >> Passier 3 day that I have ridden Tony in for almost 4 years. He has
> >> completed 2 50's and 2 25's in it - always all A's on back. However, I know
> >> if I'm just now seeing the spots then the damage has been occuring for quite
> >> some time.
> >>
> >> I do remember noting at some points last year that he had dry spots on his
> >> back sometimes but since there was no tenderness or any indication under
> >> saddle of poor fit I sort of discounted them - wrong choice, huh?
> >>
> >> The other thing I discounted to some degree and wonder if it was an
> >> indication is the "rooting" he does - that is trotting or cantering with his
> >> head almost to the ground like he's stretching. Never pulling on me just
> >> travelling with his head down sometimes. Perhaps that *was* a sign of the
> >> saddle bothering him? I guess I didn't put 2+2 together b/c it's been going
> >> on for some time (my thinking is that it's just something he does- you know
> >> these Arabs and their quirks <g>) and here again never any tenderness or
> >> indication of a problem.
> >>
> >> Sigh....
> >>
> >> Tina - now joining the masses in the Great-Saddle-Hunt
> >> Tony - with eyes on his withers :-(
> >> Tina Hicks | Huntsville, AL
> >> Southeast Endurance Riders Association - http://www.hsv.tis.net/~slilly/
> >> hickst@nichols.com
> >

> >I used to think that there was an ultimate saddle and if you could just
> >find it, all would problems would go away no matter what horse you were
> >ridding. Then reality sank in and I realized that you needed to have a
> >variety of saddles to fit different horses and even the same horse at
> >different weights.
> >
> >This spring my old Passier had been rebuilt one time more that it should
> >have so I started trying new saddles. The problem was that I had one
> >wide backed horse, one average, and one whose back resembled a railroad
> >rail. I had almost concluded that I would have to buy 2 saddles to fit
> >all three horses, when I discovered the Rembrant with the Wellep
> >adjustable tree.
> >
> >It is a high quality English saddle made in England and I understand
> [...]

Sue

The Rembrat is a major brand of saddle. I bought mine at our local
saddle shop. They said they sell them mainly to dressage people and a
few endurance riders. I would think that you would be able to find out
about it at any saddle shop that caters to English style tack. You
might try looking in the Millers catalogue.

It is comparable to a Stubban or Passier in quality and design. It has
all the necessary rings etc for endurance. It is easy to adjust for
different horses.

If you cant find it let me know and I will ask my local dealer for more
information for you.

Phil Gardner