ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: immune system stimulants

Re: immune system stimulants

BP&A (scuba@b022.aone.net.au)
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 20:58:23 +1000

John & Sue Greenall wrote:

> I have recently ventured into the world of alternative medicine and
> have great interest in the practice of using immune system stimulants
> to either prevent or help heal. I have been introduced to several
> methods of which I would love to hear more. I am presently dealing
> with a particularly stubborn upper respiratory "thing" (pretty sure
> it is a virus)

Dear Sue

My horse had a cough for 12 months. Many thousands of dollars and a
long story later the vets more or less wrote him off and stated "use him
while you can - it won't be for long". Several things didn't add up so
I decided to check into other things. He was working at a lower heart
rate than my very fit mare but still coughing.

To cut a long story short, I had a saliva test done on him. This test
showed seven different chemicals which had been retained in his system,
several of which affected the respiratory system. I was sent antedotes
for the chemicals. Since then, he has done two 80klm rides and
performed really well in each of them. I am now waiting the results of
a re-test.

Anne