ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: 102" axles

Re: 102" axles

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:06:10 -0800

hi Debra,

My trailer is at least 7' wide and may be 8'---I'll have to go measure
to make sure. I've never had any problems at all with the width, it's
the length that can get you. The total length of our rig, not including
truck, is 41', and we had to buy a second, much MUCH smaller trailer
just to use for normal day-to-day traveling to trails. I found out the
hard way that 1) the mountain bikers get very cranky if they find the
one available turnout is fully occupied by only one rig, and 2) some of
those narrow little mountain roads have very tight turns and/or nowhere
to turn around if it turns into a dead-end. However, the good news is
that never will you perfect your trailer-backing technique faster than
when inching back down a narrow, twisty road with nowhere else to go.
Just keep muttering darkly to yourself, "I'm doing this for fun and
relaxation, I'm doing this for fun and relaxation..." ;-)

If you have the choice, I love the goosenecks, much more manueverable
and can make very tight turns that a bumper-pull can't (at least not
without denting the trailer with your truck bumper).

Good luck!

Susan Evans