ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ADEQUAN IN EUROPE

Re: ADEQUAN IN EUROPE

Frank Mechelhoff (fmechelh@c-s-k.de)
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 12:44:02 +0200

MS LOUISE D BURTON wrote:

> To our friends in Europe:
> Isn't this legal for people in Europe? What are the results over there?
> Louise Burton
> OK

Legal on rides ? If you give it I.M. or I.A., I don't think so. Not sure
if it's even available on the market (as a drug, it must have a national
permit).

(snip from http://www.luitpold.com/Animal_Health/adqn_pg/adequan.html)
> Adequan polysulfated glycosaminoglycan (PSGAG), is a semi-synthetic
> pharmaceutical prepared by sulfate esterification of glycosaminoglycan molecules.
> It is chemically similar to the natural glycosaminoglycan of cartilage tissue, making
> it more than just an anti- inflammatory medication for joint trauma; it is a medical
> therapy that not only treats the symptoms but actually treats the underlying
> processes threatening to turn joint injury into joint degeneration.

since the PSGAG's are not the same substances as in the body, Adequan
should be doping and not to be used on rides. There are other substances
on the market containing natural glycosaminoglycan, and I think this
must be another story...

I made an inquiry regarding MSM and some other stuffs ato our
association. When MSM is judged as a drug, Adequan is even more a drug.
The story is, there is another product from a German company (GSM) which
contains natural glycosaminoglycan (from new-zealand mussels). This
should similar effective as MSM. I'm quite sure, as this is undetectible
(natural substance), THIS one is not to be judged as a drug.

THATS an interesting field. I try to find out more...
The lack of clear rules generates a big uncertainty all over the place.
I estimate there is some movement in the big associations, in favour of
the horses' health, hopefully...

FRANK MECHELHOFF (Germany)