ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Tom Ivers -- "The Inside Track" -- Trail Blazer Article

Re: Tom Ivers -- "The Inside Track" -- Trail Blazer Article

Karen Steenhof (steenhof@cyberhighway.net)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 06:24:32 -0700

> On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:12:28 -0500 (EST) Tivers@aol.com writes:
> >Well, what I'd say about the skeletal concerns is that, once into
> >competition, you're way beyond concerns about skeletal
> >integrity--
> >Are endurance horses snapping cannon bones with regularity? Crushing
> >sesamoids? chipping knees and ankles?
> >ti
> >

> No, as a general rule you don't see these acute breakdowns in endurance
> horses. But there is subtle damage none the less during each
> competiton. Usually the symptoms that show up from
> overtraining/overcompeting are chronic intermittent lameness
> (joints/feet/splints) or bowed or torn tendons.

I agree that snapping cannon bones is uncommon in endurance, but I know of
several highly competitive endurance horses from our area who have gone in
for chip surgery--some of them several times over the years.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net