ridecamp@endurance.net: gut sounds

gut sounds

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:22:53 -0600

At 03:39 PM 3/24/97 -0400, Truman Prevatt wrote:
>While this is good in theory, I can tell you from personal experience that
>I cannot consume a high carbo food source, like Power Bar's, during
>exercise. If I eat a power bar I will get sick.

yeah, this is my response too - exercising or not - bleck!

My goal in feeding is to keep the gut
>moving. So I have before my horse feed ( a small portion of beet
>pulp/grain mixture mixed with water, carrots and apples) and hay (alfalfa
>and grass).

At the Witchdance ride I went two 2 weeks ago something odd happened. Tony
vetted in on Friday and went all day with good gut sounds. He didn't eat or
drink at the first check but did at the other checks and began to drink on
the trail after 20 miles. Then at the final check he had no gut sounds -
none. All other parameters were perfect - gave me a C on gut sounds. He had
gotten A's on gut sounds at all previous checks. He looked fine - nothing
else amiss, heart rate fine, and he was fine after the ride.

What exactly goes on in there anyway? I find it odd that it shuts down after
he had started eating and drinking - he ate and drank after the final check
just fine and ate dinner - gut was moving when I checked it later (couple of
hours after).

Tina
Tony - gurgle, gurgle, silence.....
hickst@nichols.com