ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Red Ribbons

Re: Red Ribbons

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:34:32 +0500

NO problem--
go down to the store and get three hair elastics- the big fuzzy ones for
YOUNG kids! Get a green and yellow one and be careful about red- I think
that is used for stallions... I used all three on my stallion- I figure
andyone coming from behind has PLENTY of warning even though my stallion
never does anything anyway.
THey stay on the whole ride as long as you dont use Show sheen or something
like thatin the tail. I grab some of the longest tail hairs which go close
to the top (don't put it all the way around the tail BONE too) and it looks
like a traffic light when I get done.

Cheap easy and effective.
IF you are havingproblems teaching him NOT to kick, the best thing to do (if
he won't get totally weird on you) is to give him a darn good thunp in the
side with your leg or a crop when he threatens it... THat works almost 100%
of the time to correct. fear is no excuse either- unless you have one of
these horses that hasn't been around people OR horses.. or has had a
terrifying experience... But your normal everyday Arab or whatever shouldnt'
have a problem with that.
Hope that helps!
Gwen
At 07:26 AM 3/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I am about to attempt my first CTR with a young horse. I have
>worked with him over the last months on the behavioral issue of
>kicking strange horses as they approach from the rear. He has
>never actually kicked another horse, he only threatens. I know
>this is a lack of confidence and experience on his (and my) part.
>He's gotten much better about this on our home turf but I worry
>that, in the excitement of those first rides, he will forget what
>we've learned. With this in mind, I have decided to be cautious,
>for our sake and the sake of all the other riders. I will tie
>a red ribbon on his tail, even though red is not our best color
>(and I feel a little shamed that I feel it is necessary)
>
>Now the question. I've never done this. What type of ribbon is
>best to use? Plastic? Are there any attractive ways to go about
>this? Clever ways? Tips and clues for the clueless??
>
>Libbie (who will be sooo excited as long as we cross that finish line
>together!)

Gwen Dluehosh
Desert Storm Arabians
1156 Hightop Rd, #89