ridecamp@endurance.net: Squared Toes

Squared Toes

Connie Hoge (pvtevt@msn.com)
Wed, 19 Mar 97 18:48:58 UT

Tom Ivers wrote to Duncan Fletcher from 3/18:

> you're going to have to start paying more attention to the joints,
especially
> pasterns and ankles, when you go to a square toe. Whether these kinds of
> problems are so quick to show up in endurance horses, I don't know, but
the
> mechanical principles would be the same.

I'm curious too regarding the the "Four Point" shoeing -that is supposed to be
patterned on studies done on the wild horse foot. If that is indeed the case,
then why would we necessarily have to worry about joint problems?

My mare too, tends to drag her rear toes. Our shoer is now using a shoe with
a squared toe. Fronts are rolled. She seems much more confortable, & is
having no further forging problems.

Connie H.