ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Daily wormers vs paste

Re: Daily wormers vs paste

Karen Steenhof (steenhof@cyberhighway.net)
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:22:56 -0700

> From: Trishmare@aol.com
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Daily wormers vs paste
>
> I am thinking about swithching my horses from paste wormers to the daily
> add-to-feed wormer. Any thoughts
> on daily wormers, and experiences with them, would be appreciated.
> Trish & "pretty David"

Hi Trish-
I've posted this story to ridecamp at least 2 times before, but here goes
again:

In 1994 after about 3 years on Strongid C, my gelding was "not himself"
after 50 mile rides. Blood work showed him to be anemic. The vets I
talked to had all heard anecdotal cases of anemia in horses who had been on
strongid c for awhile, but no research had been done at the time. I took
him off the strongid c, and he started to get better. It took about 6
weeks before he was "himself" again. The following year he completed over
1100 miles of endurance with no problems and none of the symptoms
(out of gas, basically) that we saw in 1994. He's still going strong,
having reached 6000 miles of AERC competition, and looking forward to
starting his 11th year of competition next month (now on paste wormers
every 8 wks).

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho
steenhof@cyberhighway.net