ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: De-Spooking(?) Clinic

Re: De-Spooking(?) Clinic

Leonard LIESENS (liesele@dg1bis.cec.be)
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:31:46 +0100

Diana L. Benson wrote:

> Leonard -
>
> I had a guy that spooked severely all the time. He was so full of
> himself, he just couldn't quit it. Finally, in desparation, I tied 12"
> ribbons all over his bridle so they were free and would move lot. My
> rationale was that, "Okay sucker, you want to look for things to spook
> at? By golly, I'll give you something to think about ALL the time!"
>
> Guess what? It cut the unexpected spooks by about 80% I'd say. It was a
> big game with this horse and I just took some of the fun out of it. You
> might try it for a while. I left the ribbons on as long as I rode this
> horse.
>
> Diana Benson
> Joplin MO
Thank you for the advice, Diana.
I will try tomorrow. The only thing negative with this trick is the fact
that you were using the ribbons all the time. Here in Belgium, the
countryside is not as remote as it is in the States (And you are living
in Montana...MO for Montana???) and I'm afraid the people will think I'm
becoming crazy and call the police. Anyway I will try for severall
consecutive rides, and then try to take one ribbon off every day.
I tell you what will happen.
Leonard