ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: New Policy for US horses travelling to Canada

Re: New Policy for US horses travelling to Canada

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:24:09 PST

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:08:18 -0800 Judy Saunders <jsaunder@hookup.net>
writes:
>Any US riders considering competing in Canada this season should be
>aware of
>a new policy that has apparently been implemented by Canada Customs:
>American horse owners will be required to pay a security deposit at
>the
>border of $100 (more if your horse is valued at over $10,000) for each
>horse
>"entering Canada on a temporary basis for racing, showing, breeding,
>competition, pasturage or training". The security deposit will be
>refunded
>by mail after the horse has left Canada. The purpose of this is to
>ensure
>that horses permanently imported to Canada do not escape the Canadian
>Goods
>and Services Tax by entering as temporary imports. For more
>information,
>contact The American Horse Council or Canada Customs.

I'm just wondering if that customs tax goes both ways? Do Canadians have
to pay an inport tax on horses they import for sale in the US? How much?