ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Fashion and the market

Re: Fashion and the market

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:31:22 PST

Hi Annette,

I've seen gaited horses come and go over my past 18 years in Endurance
Riding. There are very few that can compete with the Arabians. They
just don't stay sound and the majority are not built to handle the
sport metabolically (too much large muscle). I can think of a couple
exceptions.

"Bandit" the TWHxArab that Smokey Killen rode held up for ten's of
thousands of miles. But, those were slow miles for the most part. At
least, when I met them, they were not burning up the trail with speed.
And, that horse had a large percentage (at least 1/2) of Arabian blood.
>From the videos I've seen of that horse, he did not look like that smooth
a ride, either.

I currently know of one little TWH mare that is about 14h. Very slight,
looks like a barb x pony (but really is a registered TWH). Can trot
like the devil, goes all day in a REALLY ROUGH trot, with her head up and her back hollow and can beat alot of Arabs. The only time she's gaited
is when she trots out for the vet. I don't think she has a lot of miles
yet. It seems like she's not raced very often.

As a general rule, to be successful in endurance, a horse needs a straight and even way of going and the correct muscle type for metabolic efficiency during endurance. It also helps to have a somewhat "hot" temperament
if your eventual goal is speed and not LSD. This does not describe the
majority of gaited horses I've seen. But, it does describe the majority of Arabians.

I've been thinking of getting a gaited horse for my husband, who will
never be a horseman and hates to be uncomfortable. But, he'd probably only ride it twice a year so it would probably be better just to rent
one.

I've never met an Arabian, which was conformationally correct, that had a
rough trot. I never "stand in the saddle".

Yep, there are a lot of cheap Arabs out there. But, that's not why they dominate the sport of endurance. They are the prototype. And nothing
yet has come along to improve upon it.

Linda VanCeylon & crew
Buhni, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
lindavan.eqath@juno.com