ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Ride descriptions

Re: Ride descriptions

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 13:45:58 -0600

At 03:42 PM 3/6/97 GMT, Joe Long wrote:

>If people would remember that things don't always go as we wish,
>especially when weather and government bureaucracies are involved, and
>had some appreciation of the problems faced by ride managers and how
>distressed *they* are when "shit happens," there would be a lot less ill
>will.

oohhhh, this is a topic near and dear to my heart what with my whole OD
escapade last year. I was also at the ride Joe is talking about....

There is a very fine line between the attitude of "if you can't stand the
heat get out of the kitchen", etc. and ride management unnecessarily being
taken to task for things they cannot control - weather, sabatoge etc....

Where is that line?? When is something that happened the responsibility of
ride management and when is it just TOUGH COOKIES??

As an example - *dangerous* weather in the area just as some riders have
gone out, others are due to go out soon. I don't mean a little rain folks -
I mean __tornadoes_ in that county, lightnening hitting a tree IN CAMP, bad,
bad storms, etc....One side of me says I am an adult - if I don't have sense
enough to get in out of the rain <g> then tough cookies. The other side of
me says, I pay a fee to go to a ride where mgmt. is tasked to make some
decisions - why don't they call the ride, gather the other folks, and wait
it out? Severe weather passed in about an hour or so......Where would the
finger had pointed tho if someone had been hit by lightnening on the trail
or a tornado had come thru and taken us all to the big trail in the sky? To
the rider for being silly enough to ride out or to mgmt for not callling the
ride??

Interesting stuff......

Tina - who will ride in anything but close lightening....
hickst@nichols.com