ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Equine dentistry question

Re: Equine dentistry question

Diana L. Benson (dbenson@juno.com)
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:50:36 PST

Hi Amy -

Older horses and/or horses that don't get a normal amount of grazing can
get "long in the tooth", i.e., the front teeth are not worn down enough
naturally. When the front teeth are too long, they can actually prevent
the molars (back teeth) from touching. When this happens, the back
molars which DO get worn from chewing, can no longer touch enough to
grind the food effectively. So, yes, it could be true that your mare
needs work on the front.

HOWEVER, I'd get a second opinion if she is holding her weight well. A
sure sign of this type of tooth problem is that it becomes hard to keep
weight on the horse because their ineffective chewing. And there's no
sense in paying for something unnecessary!

Good Luck -
Diana Benson
Joplin MO