ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Hair Loss

Re: Hair Loss

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 01 Mar 1997 19:50:23 -0800

VMAXEPT@aol.com wrote:

> Are you giving Se ? Is your area ok for Se levels in the hay??
> Sounds ??? like Se over dose?? anyone else?
> Test for Se levels.. see archives.. or ask Susan Evans at cal poly ? if she
> is till on the list.
>
> is the hair brittle?
> Roger R

Hi, I'm still on the list, just signing more often as "Susan" rather
than Susan Evans. Too lazy, I guess.

You make a good point, chronic Se toxicity (it's sometimes called
alkali disease) would cause the hair loss. It tends to be mostly around
the mane and tail, also look for cracking of hooves around the coronary
band.

Another possibility might be a lysine deficiency. I don't remember the
exact details, wasn't this horse on poor nutrition before and is now on
good nutrition. It could be a long term lysine deficiency affected the
hair growth/quality and although the horse is now on a good diet, the
problem is only apparent now?

Susan