ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: shoeing

Re: shoeing

Niccolai Murphy (niccom@aerostructures.com)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 06:31:28 -0800

Tracy Stampke <zebella@idt.net> wrote:
>I'm curious...what type af 'regular shoeing' do mast of you do? I know
>the books say most used rim shoes, but I have yet to meet anyone who
>does. How about wide-webs? Titaniums?($20 a pair..yikes)
>
>Has anyone used the "Natural Grip" shoes? They are iron shoes that are
>concave, like a natural fit.
>
>Opinions?

Uh oh, I see another long thread starting up. I used to use exclusively
rim shoes for the horses that couldn't go bare foot. However, since
getting our hooves wet in distance riding we found that rim shoes don't
stay rim shoes for more than a week and on my old TB don't last more
than two weeks (compared to 8 weeks or ring riding).

Regular flat shoes didn't last much longer so now we use wide rim shoes
and have clips on the back to help hold them on. This combination gets
us through 5 or 6 weeks though I occasionally have to reset the backs
once in a while at week 3 or 4 to prevent a lost shoe.

Liked the Slypner shoes but had trouble keeping an eye on those inserts.
Our herd lives on a steep hill and are not stalled, so they probably
move around more than stalled or corraled horses and when they kick off
the insert the base shoe usually gets ruined. The base shoe also acts
like a shallow blade without the insert, and our mare got a nasty cut
when the old TB threw her a kick when the insert had popped off. The
nails were also awfully big on those shoes.

--
Nicco Murphy  Aerostructures Inc.  F/A-18 Group, San Diego,
(619)545-3333