ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Helmets and traffic (UK)

Re: Helmets and traffic (UK)

Liz Carpenter (cvsec@south-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:53:24 GMT0BST

Kat at Orange wrote:

>However, I don't hear anybody recommending that (like the Girl Scouts)
>everybody should and should be required to wear a helmet at all times
>while around horses.

In the UK wearing a hat (helmet) is required by law for people under
18 (or maybe 16, I'm not sure exactly...kids anyway) at all times
when mounted. It is STRONGLY recommended for ages older than this
at all times when mounted. At ABRS and BHS (assoc of Brit Riding
Schools and Brit Horse soc, respectively) approved riding
establishments no one is allowed to ride without a hat. More
specifically: an approved standard hat (used to be BS, then was PAS
but it is now a new standard...check out euroenduro mailing list for
hat update). Otherwise, just about ANYBODY who is equestrian
(magazine reporters and various societies) recommends wearing a hat
when leading, lungeing (longeing), loading (into trailer/box) and
basically whenever you're in a position where a horsey hoof might
smash your brains in. AND....people just DO it....it is NEVER an
issue in the UK. I've never seen people riding hatless or lungeing
hatless (or gloveless for lungeing). I've never heard whingeing about
"having to wear a hat". However, I HAVE heard whingeing from
americans on this list and rec.eq about it and can only assume it is
a left over from the cowboy culture?. As for branches, I have had my
head clonked on several occasions and it was never because my hat
brim didn't allow me to see it. If you are worried about hat brims
then buy a skull cap which has no brim. In the UK professional
National Hunt jockeys (fall 1 in 7 rides) that go over fences (such
as the Grand National and Cheltenham Festival type fences and
hurdles) always wear a hat and they must be pretty good at falling
too, but what if your horse isn't good enough to avoid your head once
you have fallen off? I personally can't see any benefit from NOT
wearing a hat at all that outweigh the disadvantages of being dead or
injured on the head. All I can think of is flowing hair and perhaps
not having a sweaty head after a ride. Perhaps you could consider
wearing a cycle helmet which often have open grooves for sweat to
dissipate? I know that these are not designed for riding particularly
but they must offer *some* protection, particularly if you're doing
ground work? I don't know........I just despair over people who don't
wear hats (not because I want to upset hatless riders) but because
I'm knocking on wood and HOPING that you're LUCKY and NEVER
have an accident with your head, because that would be just AWFUL.....

On the traffic issue, I think we all have a duty to ensure our
animals are familiar with traffic and unlikely to spook (dangerously,
ie into traffic) under *normal* circumstances in their own particular
area. This is fairly easy to achieve and if people are unable/unwilling
to take the time and small effort this requires, then buying a
youngster is OUT and these people should consider the purchase of a
horse who is "safe" (and SHOWN to be safe prepurchase) in traffic.
NB..please bear in mind that a new safe horse might initially be
upset about moving to new stables and some allowance for goggling at
new surroundings should be made....perhaps the horse could be led
around the usual tracks first, if the horse shows a change in
character upon arriving at its new home. To traffic safe a horse the
best way to do this is exposure, exposure exposure until the
youngster/spooker isn't too bothered (in hand or longlines (only longlines
if he is unlikely to bolt!)). My pony was partially taught be traffic
safe by standing in a field next to road, partially by going walkies
as a yearling along the road (busy road too) and then as a two year
old we went longlining with a driving breast harness on with
blinkers in the direction of traffic. I believe the blinkers were
excellent for this purpose as he'd got used to seeing and hearing
traffic from behind and once he was wearing the blinkers all he could
do was hear it and then WHAM the vehicle was past and then he only
saw it zooming out into the distance. So now, he isn't bothered about
zooming whooshing and clunking/rattling noises behind and he doesn't
bother to turn his head slightly to check it out cause he knows that
they'll just zoom past and disappear. He also understands that he
should give *them* space by keeping to the side. I think riding in the
middle of the road encourages the horse to think that traffic will
move away from *him* to avoid him and therefore he might think it'll do
so mid-spook. My pony seems to know that *he's* going along the edge to
*avoid* the traffic. A fine, but important, distinction in my opinion.
He also knows about cross roads and slows down (like you would do if
you were driving a car) on approach, stops to check left right and
left again by himself (although I remain in control of course just in
case, as he *is* a horse (OK, pony!:-) and therefore capable of being
unpredictable). However, in the UK we are "lucky" (a relative term!) as
there is barely any "wild" trails left and 60-70% of my riding time
is spent on roads (small ones, and large, busy ones like dual
carriage way ring roads, etc) so we get plenty of scope for "traffic-
safe-ing" horses. Also I ride WITH the traffic as a horse is
considered a vehicle in the UK with RIGHT OF WAY although not a lot
of drivers know this. To be fair, if you wear a reflective tabard or
somesuch aid, the VAST majority of road users are very considerate. I
prefer going with traffic (only legal way in the UK) as well, so
vehicles don't suddenly surprise us and the driver has time to see
us. If you're trotting in the middle of the road at a good lick towards
the brow of a hill and the vehicle is coming towards you I don't
suppose the driver gets a lot of time to see you before taking evasive
action? A small note of caution! My own pony is so unbothered
about traffic that I think if something really unusual
and scary (it would have to be something REALLY bad as he is
unspookable normally, except for cows... they give him the screaming
ab-dabs! (no good as a cowhorse!) Thankfully there are no cow/traffic
combinations where I ride) happened on a verge he would not
worry about stepping into traffic as traffic has never *hurt* him.

Anyhow, I've garbled on for far too long!

Take care everybody and please don't fall on your heads!

Liz and Basil (the nag)