ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: pain relief

Re: pain relief

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 18:12:48 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Tina Hicks wrote:

> So...what are your secret remedies and techniques for waking up on Sunday
> and feeling like you haven't even ridden? :-)

I suspect that this is going to sound facetious, but I don't mean to be
either facetious or sarcastic, or judgemental or anything.

I have found that being in good shape and taking care of yourself (i.e.
keeping yourself well fed and well hydrated) during the course of the
ride, then getting up in the middle of the night a couple of times to
walk out your horse (and, incidentally, yourself) is what works best.

In other words, provide the same care and conditioning to yourself as you
do to your horse. In the same way that if your horse woke up the next
morning feeling like it had been hit by a truck is an indication that you
have over ridden it....if you feel that way, you have probably over-ridden.

Though there are no rules prohibiting overriding by the rider, and there
are no criteria that the rider must meet in order to compete...rider
conditioning is as important as conditioning the horse. You need to
develop correct riding posture, and develop the endurance to maintain
that posture throughout the ride. Endurance riding isn't supposed to be
easy, that is why it is called endurance.

Also, rider hydration is VERY important, as much of the soreness is
caused by build up of lactic acid in the muscles (at least muscle
soreness is) and water will help to "flush" it away.

kat
Orange County, Calif.