ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Rules of the Road

Re: Rules of the Road

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 23:06:15 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 RUN4BEAR@aol.com wrote:

> Each state has it's own laws..I live in Ohio and it is ON THE BOOKS that a
> car is not to even pass a horse/person..ridden or lead...without ..well read
> for yourself:
>
> Section 4549.01
>
> No person while operating a motor vehicle shall fail to slow down
> and stop said vehicle when signalled to do so upon meeting or
> overtaking a horse-drawn vehicle or person on horseback and to

Note that this does not say a person on foot leading a horse. You are
right, it does vary from state to state, but it would appear (unless
there is another statute to cover it) that in Ohio, a person on foot
leading a horse is a pedestrian.

Notice, also, however, that in Ohio motor vehicles are required to slow
down only when signalled to do so. Do you know who is allowed to do the
signalling? And how this signalling is supposed to be done?

Personally, I have found that, when on horseback, the "universal law of
right of way" is the best one to apply (as it applies in all states).
This law is also sometimes referred to as "the law of mass tonnage" which
states..."he who is bigger has the right of way." If you always keep
this in mind when riding in traffic (or anywhere else for that matter).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. I believe that in California horse drawn vehicles are like all
vehicles and subject to the same rules of the road as cars, motor cycles,
and bicycles (i.e. drive on the right, etc.) While people mounted on
horseback are considered pedestrians (i.e. walk on the left, have the
right of way in cross walks, etc.). But don't quote me on this as I may
be mistaken. Personally, I always ride on the left (facing the oncoming
traffic) for the same reason that I always walk on the left...because it
is safer to see it coming, so you can dodge out of the way.