ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Another Easy Boot Question

Re: Another Easy Boot Question

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 15:45:04 -0800

At 02:00 PM 2/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I deceided to use Easyboots on my barefoot horse but was unable to get
>them to fit properly. Having a natural hoof shape she doesn't fit real
>well into them. Her toe is shorter and hoof wider then the Easyboot. She
>seems to be between a size 0 and 1. I can't start cutting and molding

That is easy to fix - if the 0 is too small, take a 1 and cut down the heel
strap on the back. You can tighten it up on one side or both sides to make
it fit. Then adjust the cable according to the instructions that come with
the boots and you'll be all set. If you tighten down the cable enough
(there are several ways to do that - see instructions), that will help to
keep stuff from coming in on the sides.

> When people say cut the back out, does that mean the whole back part
>down to the sole or just to the guideline on the Easyboot? Any
>suggestions, as I really don't want to put shoes on her.

Cut the back of the boot down so it is flush/even with the back of the heel
strap. (scissors work fine) I have found that it doesn't really matter if
stuff (dirt, etc.) gets in there, it doesn't seem to make any difference.
If that is a concern, however, you can try using an easy dirt skirt. (a dirt
skirt is a 1" thick urethane sheet foam that goes into the boot to help keep
out sand, dirt, etc.) I have found that it makes no difference to my horses
if I ride the boots with the easy-foam (nothing can get in then) or without.
(note: when I refer to easy foam, it is something different than the dirt
skirt).

I'm still learning new tricks all the time. I think I've almost got it tho!
I'll see this weekend if I am able to do a 25 or 30 mile training ride and
keep all four boots on the entire time - I let you all know how we do!

You can check out the easy care web page: http://www2.infop.com/easy/index.html

Hope this helps. Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Rocky who is barefoot and uses easy boots too!