ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Rice Bran & Beet Pulp

Re: Rice Bran & Beet Pulp

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:40:56 -0800

Is this a resurrected old posting? I didn't see the original question. Beet
pulp contains .62% Ca and 0.09% P. Rice bran contains 0.09% Ca and 1.57% P.
To keep Ca/P at about 1.4 you need to feed 4 lb of beet pulp for every 1 lb
of rice bran (ignoring whatever else is being fed). The only study of which
I am aware would indicate that selective absorption of Ca over P does NOT
occur. Rather the problem is that excess P blocks the absorption of Ca.
>From NRC's Nutrient Requirements of Horses: "Even if calcium requirements
are met, excessive phosphorous intake will cause skeletal malformations
(Schryver et al., 1971)".

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net

----------
> From: VMAXEPT@aol.com
> To: mdbennett@tva.gov; ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: Re: Rice Bran & Beet Pulp
> Date: Saturday, February 08, 1997 12:02 AM
>
> Dave. Well ..from what I can determine.If you feed beet pulp and rice
bran
> you are ok since beet pulp is higher in CA ..it offsets the P in rice
bran..
> I have NOT ran the ratios to weight to find out close it is..i did read
how
> much the Ca to P ratio in beet pulp was..but cant find it.. i have the
rice
> barn ratio..on the bag..need to look at the beetpulp...my guess 2
beetplup to
> one rice bran would be very good.
>
> anyone have these ratios handy???
>
> however Jim from ABC says since I feed the ABC Plus and the ABC Rushcreek
> Minerals ..the horse will do thing he calls selective rejection..i dont
> really understand it..but it goes like this..
> when i feed ..force an unbalanced mix.. the horse will go to the free
choice
> feeder and take up all the minerals he needs to get balanced ..since he
is
> high in P his body will NOT absorb anymore from the mineral mix..he will
> reject it when it is in his guts..and take up only the parts he needs..
in