ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: how many Mcal does a competing endurance horse need..

Re: how many Mcal does a competing endurance horse need..

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 09:38:59 -0800

>From NRC's Nutrient Requirements for Horses:
where DE is digestible energy in Mcal and BW is body weight in kg.
Maintenance: (200-600kg BW) : DE = 1.4 + 0.03 BW
Light Work: DE = 1.25 (maintenace DE)
Moderate Work: DE = 1.50 (maintenace DE)
Intense Work: DE = 2.00 (maintenace DE)

Examples of light work are Western & English pleasure, bridle path hack,
equitation, etc.
Examples of moderate work ranch work, roping , cutting, barrel racing,
jumping etc.
Examples of intense work are race training, polo, etc.

For those of you have actually kept the same horse in both maintenance and
competitive conditions, is the 2.00 multiplier about right in your
experience?