ridecamp@endurance.net: His time/his space (was sacking out)

His time/his space (was sacking out)

K S Swigart (katswig@deltanet.com)
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 23:04:32 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Robbi Pruitt wrote:

> Just my .02 worth. I think you're out of bounds training your horse
> while he's eating. Horses can be very territorial and you,re on their
> time at dinner time. Sack him out out of his stall, with his halter on

I have a rule for all my horses (especially the stallions) about their
stalls. And that is...their stall is their space and they are allowed to
do whatever they want as long as they aren't doing something self
destrictive or destructive to the facilities. However, the addendum to
this rule is that their stall ceases to be their space, the instant a
person steps into it.

I do not want them to become terratorial about their space when I come in
to, say, clean, for example. They can rear up, buck, snort, kick, etc.
to their hearts' content as long as I am not in there with them. The
instant I come through the gate or through the rails, the standard code
of expected behaviour changes.

With regards to food. My horses are not allowed to be terratorial about
their food...EVER. Like kindergardeners, they must learn to share (with
the caveat that what they do when I am not around is their business).

I personally am of the opinion that "sacking out" is a great exercise to
do while they are eating. I also find that it is a better exercise to do
when they are free to get away and yet choose not to, rather than
restraining them in their terror. This is, after all, what you want them
to do out on the trail.

kat
Orange County, Calif.