ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Falling Off - Learning to Let Go

Re: Falling Off - Learning to Let Go

tina hicks (hickst@puzzler.nichols.com)
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 14:01:36 -0600

At 11:42 AM 2/5/97 -0800, K S Swigart wrote:

>Many of the problems associated with the possiblity of pulling a horse
>down on top of you if you hold on when you fall off can be reduced by
>riding with split reins.
==============
not for me - every time I ride in split reins I drop one of them - usually
at innoportune moments :-< So, if I find myself with split reins I usually
knot them to take care of that. Split reins don't lend themselves well to
going down the trail "on the buckle" which where I ride which may expain
some of my unplanned dismounts......

The times I've come off Tony I've usually been so literally catapulted from
a severe spook, or the unfortunate tree incident, that holding on just never
occured to me. When you are out of the saddle so fast you don't even know
how you left it you don't have time to think about much :-)

I think too in this whole falling off thread that some people just have more
"stick'um" too. Even as I kid if I was in a bad situation (pony running away
at what I thought was a dead run in the ring) I bailed (okay when I was
really small I would scream "Mommy, mommy, mommy" but that didn't seem to
help matters much so I stopped that<vbg>) and to this day I don't have a
tremendous amt. of stick. Oh I stay on well enough but I mean those times
when in order to stay on you are clutching by a fingernail.

My mother, on the other hand, can count on one hand the number of times she
has come off in over 20 years of riding - not that she hasn't ridden her
fair share of silly horses - she just *sticks* to whatever she's on. Go
figure - why couldn't I have inherited that important quality? Matter of
fact the last time she came off it was sort of my fault, hmmm, maybe that's
why she hasn't had time to ride with me lately <g>

Tina - where is that glue anyway?